Za’atar (from the Middle East) is an ancient, intensely aromatic spice blend and condiment used to flavor everything from grilled meats to freshly baked bread. The mixture is traditionally made with dried herbs such as marjoram or thyme (the Arabic word za’atar, pronounced ZAH-tahr, also means “thyme”), but you can kick this up by using chopped fresh oregano. Use liberally.
- T chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 tsp dry leaves
- 1 T sumac
- 1 T ground cumin seed
- 1 T toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
A Few Notes:
- Store in an airtight jar in your refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- Can be stored at room temperature for two weeks.