Sweet Beet Mac & Cheese
Thanks to our partner, PowerUp 4 Kids, for this recipe!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 + 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Beet green tops from 1 bunch of beets (4-5 beets), chopped (about 2 cups)
- Start by piercing sweet potatoes with a fork 8-10 times all over. Bake covered at 350°F until soft. Let cool on counter. Using a fork, remove the skin and mash smooth.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions to al dente*. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a medium saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat. Then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time as the mixture thickens.
- Once slightly thickened, remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper, mashed sweet potato, 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- In a large casserole dish (2 quart), mix together the cheese sauce, pasta, and the diced beet greens until they are slightly wilted. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on top then bake for 25 minutes until top is browning slightly.
* “Al dente” is an Italian phrase for cooked pasta and rice that is tender but firm.