Thanks to our partner, PowerUp 4 Kids, for this recipe!
- 2 sweet potatoes (1/2 pound), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup tahini (optional – if omitting, use additional 1/4 cup olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
* You can cook 1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans to get 1 1/2 cups cooked beans. Use this as a substitute for canned beans.
- Boil the peeled and cut sweet potatoes in a large pot for 10 minutes or until you can pierce them easily with a fork. Once soft, drain the sweet potatoes and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cool, transfer potatoes to a blender. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper to the blender. Then blend until it is smooth. Note: If it is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water and blend. Repeat until you get the consistency that you desire.
- Serve the hummus with fresh vegetables, with whole-wheat pita bread, or on a sandwich.
Recipe reprinted from The Food Group.